FabFilter User Forum

Saturn 2?

I'm a big fan of the Saturn distortion plugin, have used it loads of times in mixes to great effect, but just wondering if there is a Saturn 2 in the works?

I would love to see:

1) New interesting amp modelling style distortion types to offer lots of new tonal characters.

2) Mic to amp modelling or direct feed choices, basically stuff similar to what Logics amp distortion plugin does in terms of choices and what you can do.

3) As well as HQ mode, have a UHQ Ultra High Quality mode, which could be 16x oversampling or possibly even 32x, to really force the unwated intermodulation distortion elements down to an even lower db level.

Laurence

..oh and also would be great to have a custom distortion mode where you can edit any waveshape you want, or expressed in terms of odd and even harmonics where you can draw on a graph the levels of each 2nd 3rd 4th harmonic etc :)

Laurence

Hi Laurence,

Thanks! All valid and interesting suggestions... noted!

Floris (FabFilter)

If you do, please also cater to sound designers looking for creative loFi options. Especially something like gated fuzz (e.g. z.vex) and over-the-top digital distortion. It’s nice to have options.

Gero

Simple (or not) HP & LP filters in the plugin! :)

1984Audio

Ah great, I was just going to suggest a master LP after trying to fit an instrument in a mix after bitcrushing it with Saturn.

So +1

Gero

Saturn 2 could also feature some intense spectral distortion algorithms which really mangle the sound the more you turn the knob.
I believe that in the realm of spectral processing there are many more options for wild and creative distortions.

I would also like to see some distortions which allow inter-band modulation. So they use the (volume, panning, spectral) info on another band to be driven. This could be part of the modulation system.

Extracting some more info for modulation from the audio would also be nice so that this can be used for modulation. Words like "noisiness", "tonalness", "darkness", "brightness", "plosiveness", "lushness" etc. come to mind. These linear extracted params could then control params of the effect. This allows pretty organic results.

Of course Saturn 2 needs a HDPI GUI which is scalable and zoomable.

Oli
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list